Popcorn vs Kernel

5 Popcorns = Must see!
4 Popcorns = You'll probably like it.
3 Popcorns = Go in the morning when there are cheaper ticket prices.
2 Popcorns = Maybe rent it.
1 Popcorn = Wait for a friend to rent it and watch it with them.
Kernel = Don't see it at all. Ever.

Monday, October 19, 2015

Sicario (2015)






Directed by: Denis Villeneuve

Written by: Taylor Sheridan

Starring: Emily Blunt, Josh Brolin, & Benicio Del Toro







Sicario follows Kate Macer (Blunt), an FBI agent, to assist a portion of the government that is trying to take down the Mexican drug cartel, who previously had killed some of the members on her team.  Unfortunately what she thinks she is getting into is completely off kilter and ends up trying to survive in Mexico while keeping sane.

The person that I went with to see this film, loved it.  He thought it was fantastic and "messed up," but in a good way.

I on the other hand, thought it was okay.  Either it was because I was tired or the film was dragging, but I fell asleep a few times.  Now I am pretty sure that me falling asleep is a indicator of what I felt about this film.

First off, I was a little confused.  I suspect that the confusion was attributed to how Macer felt by being in Mexico and working with the government to take down the drug cartel, which is not exactly her speciality.  In addition to it not being her speciality, the people she was working with would keep her in the dark on their mission and to where they were going.  Now I'm not sure if that is why I was a little lost, because she was too?  Or was it just bad writing?  Was I supposed to be just like Macer and fuddle my way to find out the government's objectives?   In other words, I don't know what happened, except at the end.

The ending was great, but no spoilers.

Secondly, the film dragged.  It was talking, talking, talking and then some action.  Then more talking and then another action sequence.  But the talking did not always explain the action that followed.  Plus some of the dialogue seemed redundant and not necessary, but that's just my opinion.

This just was not my kind of film.  But it could be yours?  Maybe?  I give it 3 popcorns.

No comments:

Post a Comment