Popcorn vs Kernel

5 Popcorns = Must see!
4 Popcorns = You'll probably like it.
3 Popcorns = Go in the morning when there are cheaper ticket prices.
2 Popcorns = Maybe rent it.
1 Popcorn = Wait for a friend to rent it and watch it with them.
Kernel = Don't see it at all. Ever.

Friday, March 17, 2017

Beauty and the Beast (2017)






Directed by: Bill Condon

Written by: Stephen Chbosky & Evan Spilliotopoulos

Starring: Emma Watson, Dan Stevens, Luke Evans, Kevin Kline, Josh Gad, Ewan McGreggor, Stanley Tucci, Ian McKellen, Emma Thompson, Audra McDonald, & Gugu Mbatha-Raw


This live-action remake brings to life the original fairy tale along with the Disney classic animation version.  There are so many things that I loved about this film.

Ok first, my favorite princess was always Jasmine.  But as I grew up and took a bunch of "What Disney Princess are you?" (I always got Belle) my favorite changed to Belle.  So when I heard that this film was coming out, I was very excited.  So excited that I got advanced tickets in 3D.  (I recommend seeing it in 3D.)

Anyway, one of the positives from the film is how I said that it incorporates the original fairy tale...at least a little bit.  Belle (Watson) still doesn't have siblings, but the reason for Maurice (Kline) leaving is the same as the original story.  So rather than trespassing as the original, Maurice is imprisoned for being a thief.

Second, it is pretty historically accurate.  In the cartoon it is difficult to figure out when the film takes place, but in the live-action it is pretty evident that it takes place during the 18th century a.k.a. during Marie Antoinette time.  The costumes were outrageous and the antiques that the king has are for sure during that time. (I used to work at an antique lamp shop.)

Third, it is a very modern version with there being interracial couples as well as more than one gay character.  It brings it into this time period.

Plus the additional scenes that weren't in the original are fantastic.  They answer the questions that we have like what happened to Belle's mother?

So it's a must: 5 popcorns.


No comments:

Post a Comment