Popcorn vs Kernel

5 Popcorns = Must see!
4 Popcorns = You'll probably like it.
3 Popcorns = Go in the morning when there are cheaper ticket prices.
2 Popcorns = Maybe rent it.
1 Popcorn = Wait for a friend to rent it and watch it with them.
Kernel = Don't see it at all. Ever.

Friday, March 4, 2016

The Witch (2015)






Directed by: Robert Eggers

Written by: Robert Eggers

Starring: Anya Taylor-Joy, Ralph Ineson, & Kate Dickie







You either love this movie or hate it.

I hated it.  When I saw the trailer, I was led to believe that the witch was evil, lived in the woods, and was messing with this family.  Instead I was completely off and the witch is not who you expect, but should expect since the film is hinting at it the whole time.

There were a few problems I had with this film.  One, was the dialogue, which was in Middle English.  The story takes place during, I'm guessing, the 1600s.  Puritans and Native Americans were most of the population at the time.  I never liked Middle English because then I have to focus on what they're saying rather than just enjoying the film.  It's too much work, but at the same time it made the time period more believable.

Another problem that I had was the ending.  I thought it was so unrealistic that it made me laugh.  But  just because it isn't what I believe in, it doesn't mean that others don't believe in it.  If you see it, you'll understand what I mean in accordance to the witchcraft religion.

I was going to give it 2 popcorns based on the technical aspects of the film, which didn't disappoint, but I just didn't like the plot at all, which made me lean towards a kernel.  I went in the middle and gave it 1 popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment