Popcorn vs Kernel

5 Popcorns = Must see!
4 Popcorns = You'll probably like it.
3 Popcorns = Go in the morning when there are cheaper ticket prices.
2 Popcorns = Maybe rent it.
1 Popcorn = Wait for a friend to rent it and watch it with them.
Kernel = Don't see it at all. Ever.

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Brooklyn (2015)






Directed by: John Crowley

Written by: Nick Hornby & Colm Toibin (novel)

Starring: Saoirse Ronan, Emory Cohen, & Domhnall Gleeson







This is my kind of movie.

Brooklyn stars Ronan as Eilis, a young girl from Ireland who moves to America in the 1950s.  When tragedy strikes she has to choose between her new life in America or her past from Ireland.

Okay, so that does not sound so interesting.  But seriously I loved this movie, but I think I was the only one that did in the theater.  I was laughing.  I was crying.  I was smiling like an idiot at the romantic parts.  But like I said, I think I was the only one.

It's definitely a chick flick guys, but not a romantic comedy kind.  It is more sophisticated and heart wrenching than other movies, especially since it is all from an immigrant's point of view.

I suppose I liked the movie so much because it's similar to what I'm going through, not exactly, but there were subtle similarities in terms of emotion.  But that's personal.

Anyway, what made the movie was the editing, the cinematography, and the acting.  And because of all that, it also includes the directing.  Crowley is pretty amazing.  The shots were gorgeous and illuminated the beauty in both countries.  The editing made them flow together perfectly and even made the characters more interesting from the expression that they portrayed, especially Ronan.  From the shots and editing decisions, you can see that she's always thinking even if she doesn't say much, her expression says it all.

I definitely recommend this movie.  But, let it be known that there is no action, not much comedy (a little), and is for sure a drama chick flick.  So if that does not sound appealing, don't watch it.  Also since it occurs in the 1950s, you have to pay much more attention to what the characters are saying in order to understand what's happening, if that makes sense.  5 popcorns!



No comments:

Post a Comment