Popcorn vs Kernel

5 Popcorns = Must see!
4 Popcorns = You'll probably like it.
3 Popcorns = Go in the morning when there are cheaper ticket prices.
2 Popcorns = Maybe rent it.
1 Popcorn = Wait for a friend to rent it and watch it with them.
Kernel = Don't see it at all. Ever.

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)






Directed by: J.J. Abrams

Written by: Lawrence Kasdan, J.J. Abrams, Michael Arndt, & George Lucas (characters)

Starring: Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, & Oscar Isaac






Prior to the film release, I had watched all six movies within four days.  I had never watched them in my life and the only thing I knew about them is what I had heard from other films and television shows.

Now since everything is relatively recent in my mind, I was set to watch the seventh one.  I was super excited, and am now a super fan.  R2D2 is my favorite.

(But before I begin my review, I'm sorry for not having it up sooner.  Tickets sold out.  I was doing a cross country road trip.  Crazy past couple of days.)

Anyway, this film starts further in the future than where the last one ended, the last one being episode VI, but the third film to come out in the series.  The film was really well done in the fact that there weren't many looming questions and all the time gaps were mostly filled to where you didn't have any questions about what had happened throughout the years.

What I especially liked about this film is how Disney is introducing a black lead as well as a strong female lead (no offense to Carrie Fisher or Natalie Portman, but Ridley is who I'd want to be when I grow up compared to the royalty), which has yet to be done in the series before.  It breaks away from the stereotypes and introduces an interracial couple, well hopefully anyway.

Besides that difference, another change that Disney made was the editing style.  They seemed to try to stay with the trend of these awkward swipes, but only accomplished about three, while previous films had many more.  But I doubt people notice this.  I only did because I just recently saw the others and have an interest in editing.

But overall this film had everything.  Romance, comedy, drama, adventure, and even a horror moment here and there.  I fell in love with the characters all over again and even loved the new ones. It left me wanting to watch the next one.  The film just made me happy and excited to the point I was hitting the person next to me and tried to predict what would happen next.  My predictions were all wrong by the way.  So that's a good thing.  I'm usually very good at figuring out the next climax or hidden secret is.

Anyway, the last great thing about this film is that you don't have to watch the others to understand it.  As long as you know the basis you can get by and who doesn't know the basis with all the references to the series these days.  If you do want some spoilers from the previous films to get a sense of this one, feel free to comment below and I'll answer any questions you have.  Otherwise enjoy the film.  5 popcorns.


No comments:

Post a Comment