Popcorn vs Kernel

5 Popcorns = Must see!
4 Popcorns = You'll probably like it.
3 Popcorns = Go in the morning when there are cheaper ticket prices.
2 Popcorns = Maybe rent it.
1 Popcorn = Wait for a friend to rent it and watch it with them.
Kernel = Don't see it at all. Ever.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Girls Trip (2017)






Directed by: Malcolm D. Lee

Written by: Erica Rivinoja, Kenya Barris, & Tracy Oliver

Starring: Regina Hall, Queen Latifah, Jada Pinkett Smith, & Tiffany Haddish



Okay, I'm going to be perfectly honest and this is probably not the most popular opinion, but I didn't like this film.

Ryan Pierce (Hall), a successful author and businesswoman, in an effort to get to hang out with her girls again, decides to be the key note speaker at an Essence Festival in New Orleans.  As the four reconnect, secrets come out and the women need to figure out if they have outgrown their friends and if it's time to worry about themselves.

While I was in the theater, I felt awkward.  Everyone was cracking up and I was just sitting there with a small smirk.  I don't know why.  There were funny hilarious scenes, but I just wasn't into it.  There was a lot of crude jokes and I guess that isn't my scene.

The person though that made the film was Haddish.  Her character, Dina, outshined the rest of the women and stood out as the one to watch in Hollywood.  She was amazing and funny with her comedic nature coming forth.

To be honest, I am getting a little tired of Regina Hall always playing the one that has love problems and the damsel in distress, yet strong woman.  I've seen this character portrayed by her, it feels like a million times, but probably it has only been a few times.  Can't someone else play that character?

Film wise, there were a few editing errors, but nothing major.

So all in all, you'll like it if you like sexual and/or crude humor.  If you like other kids of comedy, you probably won't like it.  3 popcorns.


*** Make sure to follow me to get a first look as to whether the film is worth it.  Click on "follow" in the left hand column.

No comments:

Post a Comment