Popcorn vs Kernel

5 Popcorns = Must see!
4 Popcorns = You'll probably like it.
3 Popcorns = Go in the morning when there are cheaper ticket prices.
2 Popcorns = Maybe rent it.
1 Popcorn = Wait for a friend to rent it and watch it with them.
Kernel = Don't see it at all. Ever.

Thursday, June 23, 2016

The Conjuring 2 (2016)





Directed by: James Wan

Written by: Carey Hayes, Chad Hayes, James Wan, & David Leslie Johnson

Starring: Vera Farmiga & Patrick Wilson







Ed (Wilson) and Lorraine (Farmiga) Warren take on their biggest case to date. A young girl in England brings home a Ouija board and, of course with that, the spirit of an old man.  In hopes of casting the spirit out the Warrens come to England, but are unsure if there is a spirit in the house or the girl is just faking it.

I loved this film.  I usually do not like horror films because I end up laughing at them.  I try not to because I don't want to ruin the movie for others, but they just do not seem scary.  But this one did.

The whole time I was watching this film I had goosebumps.  I liked it so much, I saw it twice.  The nun, who is a demon in the film, was the character that really made me shiver.  Mostly because she's a nun, seen as a religious symbol, but also a demon.  Great contrast and decision making of changing the demon to be a nun.  Good job Wan!  Also F.Y.I. the nun is going to have her own movie; same director, writer, and producers.

Another reason I really enjoyed this film is that there are two scenes that are very creative.  There is one where the Warrens want to talk to the spirit, but he will not possess Janet (Madison Wolfe) unless they aren't looking.  So Ed looks away and the camera just has him in focus, while Janet/the spirit are out of focus, but you can still tell when the possession happens.  The other scene is a point of view shot when Ed cannot see and the camera is blurry as it goes around the house with his hands out in front.  I love those type of scenes...when they work!

Besides that I thought the story was cohesive and the acting was great.  5 popcorns.



No comments:

Post a Comment