Popcorn vs Kernel

5 Popcorns = Must see!
4 Popcorns = You'll probably like it.
3 Popcorns = Go in the morning when there are cheaper ticket prices.
2 Popcorns = Maybe rent it.
1 Popcorn = Wait for a friend to rent it and watch it with them.
Kernel = Don't see it at all. Ever.

Thursday, February 11, 2016

The Choice (2016)






Directed by: Ross Katz

Written by: Bryan Sipe & Nicholas Sparks (novel)

Starring: Benjamin Walker & Teresa Palmer







The Choice is just like all the other Sparks movies.  Just like The Notebook, The Longest Ride, The Last Song, etc...they pretty much all have the same elements.  Travis (Walker), a veterinarian, is neighbors with Gabby (Palmer), a medical student.  They hate each other, then fall in love, there is some other guy, yadda yadda yadda.  Of course someone has to fall ill or die.  If someone didn't then it would not be a Sparks film.  But there wasn't anything special about this film.  It is just like all the others as I said.

At first I did not want to see this film.  It looked boring and similar to the others.  But I only saw it due to Benjamin Walker.  He was married to Mamie Gummer (Meryl Streep's daughter) and now he is married to Kaya Scodelario, who is from my favorite television show Skins.  So I needed to see why these actresses I loved were marrying this guy.  I didn't see it, but maybe it's his eyes.  They look as if his puppy just died.  Anyway his acting was mediocre.  Very similar to Ryan Gosling in The Notebook, but just The Notebook, not any of Gosling's other films.  Palmer was good too, but nothing amazing.

The editing and cinematography were the best things about this film.  There was a slow motion part that I loved.  It's in the trailer I believe when Palmer gets into a car crash.  Plus there are some beautiful shots of the scenery where the story takes place.

I think perhaps Sparks has finally climbed over his successful peak.  Is he finally done?  Doubt it.  The person I went with was crying during the film, so there probably are still fans out there.  I guess I just outgrew him.  2 popcorns.
                       

No comments:

Post a Comment