Popcorn vs Kernel

5 Popcorns = Must see!
4 Popcorns = You'll probably like it.
3 Popcorns = Go in the morning when there are cheaper ticket prices.
2 Popcorns = Maybe rent it.
1 Popcorn = Wait for a friend to rent it and watch it with them.
Kernel = Don't see it at all. Ever.

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Paper Towns (2015)







Directed by: Jake Schreier

Written by: John Green (author), Scott Neustadter, and Michael H. Weber


Starring: Nat Wolff, Cara Delevingne






So before we begin, note that I have not read the book.  I do not plan on reading it either nor have I read any of John Green's books thus far.  I'm sure they are wonderful though.

I like this film.  I really do.  As I write this, I'm listening to the soundtrack and picking out the best songs.  The reasons for me liking this film are as follows:

Delevingne was mysterious, pretty, and all around a pretty well-played Margo for the most part.  I liked her character and the eyebrows made it all that much more.  She was barely in the film despite it being mostly about her, but the parts she was in, I was like "hey, she can act."  

Wolff's character, Quentin, on the other hand reminded me of this guy named Josh from high school.  But he was good too.  I truly believed that he loved Margo and his faith in romance made me like him. 

They weren't the only ones I admired.  I loved the whole cast.  Quentin's friends, Ben (Austin Abrams) and Radar (Justice Smith) were fabulous in that they played those geeky high school nerds that believed high school for the most party was horrible, except for their best friends.  They both were believable along with their girlfriends.  

But what I like most about this film other than the characters was the moral of the story.  Most young adult books (the ones I've read anyway) that revolve around real life seem to always end in a happy ending, but the one you expect.  I completely thought that Quentin was going to find Margo and they were going to live happily ever after.  My brain is programmed to find the best in romantic situations, but this film surprised me.  Perhaps that's a spoiler.  Sorry.

Anyway, it made me think that what you expect in life isn't always what you get.  But it can still be a happy ending nonetheless.

I give this film 4 Popcorns.  In other words, you'll probably like it just as much as I do.


No comments:

Post a Comment