Popcorn vs Kernel

5 Popcorns = Must see!
4 Popcorns = You'll probably like it.
3 Popcorns = Go in the morning when there are cheaper ticket prices.
2 Popcorns = Maybe rent it.
1 Popcorn = Wait for a friend to rent it and watch it with them.
Kernel = Don't see it at all. Ever.

Monday, August 14, 2017

The Glass Castle (2017)





Directed by: Destin Daniel Cretton

Written by: Destin Daniel Cretton, Andrew Lanham, & Jeannette Walls (novel)

Starring: Brie Larson, Woody Harrelson, & Naomi Watts







At first I was apprehensive about this film.  I originally wanted to see it and was very excited about it, but then I saw that "Rotten Tomatoes" gave it a low score and considered it "Rotten."  I was shocked and saddened.

Nevertheless, I went to see the film and understood their low score, but I loved it; hence the 5.

Jeannette (Larson) had a childhood of freedom and instability.  Her and her family moved from place to place, sometimes starving and trying to survive.  Despite, their anger with their parents for not taking care of them, Rex (Harrelson) and Rose Mary (Watts) had their moments.  As Jeannette grew older, she began to distance herself from her past life and deny it.  But running away from your problems sometimes has the ability to catch up with you.

Now the film felt like a moment after moment, trying to make you feel all these things at once, accomplishing the exact opposite.  But after the middle of the film, that stopped, or at least I didn't notice it anymore.  But those moments were relatable, at least for my life and that's why the film was so good.  But if you cannot relate to the family, then of course, you'll hate it, which is my guess about the "Rotten Tomatoes" critics.  Plus, some of them said that they've seen this story before, but I haven't.  What they said the story was, was not what I thought it was.

Anyway, all in all you'll hate it or love it.  Not sure if there is an in between.

5 popcorns.


No comments:

Post a Comment