Popcorn vs Kernel

5 Popcorns = Must see!
4 Popcorns = You'll probably like it.
3 Popcorns = Go in the morning when there are cheaper ticket prices.
2 Popcorns = Maybe rent it.
1 Popcorn = Wait for a friend to rent it and watch it with them.
Kernel = Don't see it at all. Ever.

Sunday, October 9, 2016

The Dressmaker (2015)







Directed by: Jocelyn Moorhouse

Written by: Rosalie Ham (novel), P.J. Hogan, & Jocelyn Moorhouse

Starring: Kate Winslet, Judy Davis, Liam Hemsworth, & Hugo Weaving




Tilly (Winslet), after years of staying away and traveling the world, decides to come back to the horrible small town that she grew up in.  While there, despite her reputation of being a murderess, she begins to get clients that want her dressmaking skills to transform them into beautiful confident people.  But just because she can change them, doesn’t always me they’ve changed.

I thought this film was excellent.  It reminded me a little of Baz Luhrmann’s filmmaking because the people seemed out of place in that small town and there were a lot of close ups.  Maybe it’s an Australian thing. 

Anyway, besides that the clothes were beautiful.  I also thought Liam Hemsworth’s character and Winslet’s provided a nice contrast of how people who are both outcasts can come together.  But at the same time, it seemed odd their age difference.  Usually in films having an older woman and younger man isn’t seen, not that I’m complaining.  I like it.  But it seems like the director tried to make them the same age, but Hemsworth a few years younger.  It’s obvious though it’s more than a few, especially if you know their real ages.  So overall it seemed odd.

The plot is different than I’ve seen and I loved the mother, Molly, played by Judy Davis.  I also appreciated that it wasn’t a “and she lived happily ever after” type story.  It was more real than that.

I laughed, I cried.  I loved this film.  If it’s playing near you, I recommend you see it.  5 popcorns.


No comments:

Post a Comment