Popcorn vs Kernel

5 Popcorns = Must see!
4 Popcorns = You'll probably like it.
3 Popcorns = Go in the morning when there are cheaper ticket prices.
2 Popcorns = Maybe rent it.
1 Popcorn = Wait for a friend to rent it and watch it with them.
Kernel = Don't see it at all. Ever.

Monday, September 5, 2016

Hands of Stone (2016)






Directed by: Jonathan Jakubowicz

Written by: Jonathan Jakubowicz

Starring: Edgar Ramirez, Robert De Niro, & Usher Raymond IV




So before beginning this review, I have to let you know I was seriously distracted and annoyed by these two women next to me.  They kept talking throughout the film and even after confrontation still talked, although not as much.  Damn ladies.  Therefore my review may not be reliable since I didn’t get to enjoy the film that much.

Hands of Stone is the biographical story about the great boxer, Roberto Duran (Ramirez) and his journey to fame.  It also tells about his feud with Sugar Ray Leonard (Raymond) and his relationship with his trainer Ray Arcel (De Niro).

I didn’t think the film was that interesting.  The acting was great, but the storyline feels like a “been there, done that” type story.  It reminded me a lot of Rocky, which apparently came out during the time when this story takes place.  I mean, maybe Rocky took a little bit of their inspiration from this true story, but it’s unlikely. 

I also felt that this film had two main characters that were competing for the starring role.  The film should have chosen one character to go along with throughout the story: Roberto Duran or Ray Arcel.  Because there were two competing stories, there wasn’t a connection with either of them.  Therefore if something bad happened to one of them, there was no sympathy on my part.

3 popcorns.

No comments:

Post a Comment