Popcorn vs Kernel

5 Popcorns = Must see!
4 Popcorns = You'll probably like it.
3 Popcorns = Go in the morning when there are cheaper ticket prices.
2 Popcorns = Maybe rent it.
1 Popcorn = Wait for a friend to rent it and watch it with them.
Kernel = Don't see it at all. Ever.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Southside with You (2016)





Directed by: Richard Tanne

Written by: Richard Tanne

Starring: Tika Sumpter & Parker Sawyers








Southside with You is a big disappointment.

In the trailer I saw, the narrator says, “see how it all started,” but I didn’t expect us, the audience, to only see the first date.

Basically this film is about Michelle Robinson and Barack Obama’s first date.  It is a lot of talking and walking around.  There is nothing about their wedding, their kids, and their road to the White House or anything else that is not their first date.  I expected a lot more.  I guess I expected a biopic, but it didn’t happen.

I heard that this is how this director’s films are.  But I didn’t know this before watching it.  If I did, I probably wouldn’t have watched it.  But if you like movies where the characters just walk and talk with there being no end goal in a short amount of time, then this is the film for you.  I, on the other hand, like there to be character development as well as a more distinguished plot with the goal of something other than Michelle saying that it is a date.  Mostly because we, audience members, already know that it is a date.

Nevertheless, the acting is phenomenal.  Tika Sumpter and Parker Sawyers were great as Michelle and Barack Obama.  They have all the same characteristics that we see on television.  I believe they were the perfect casting choice.  But that is the only positive.  1 popcorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment