Popcorn vs Kernel

5 Popcorns = Must see!
4 Popcorns = You'll probably like it.
3 Popcorns = Go in the morning when there are cheaper ticket prices.
2 Popcorns = Maybe rent it.
1 Popcorn = Wait for a friend to rent it and watch it with them.
Kernel = Don't see it at all. Ever.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

The Boss (2016)






Directed by: Ben Falcone

Written by: Ben Falcone, Steve Mallory, & Melissa McCarthy

Starring: Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Bell, & Peter Dinklage







Michelle Darnell (McCarthy) is a rich women, but goes to jail for insider trading.  Once out, she finds that most of her "friends" have turned their back on her.  She ends up sleeping on her previous assistant's couch and hating life.  When she has to put in her weight to live there, such as taking Claire's (Bell) daughter Rachel (Ella Anderson) to her Dandelion meeting, she gets an entrepreneur idea to start a brownie empire.

I wasn't initially going to write this review until I saw the film again because the audience may have affected my view of this film.

Falcone and McCarthy come together again to create another comedy with physical and sexual humor.  What I like about Falcone's films is that McCarthy's characters are always strong, but usually have some flaw that affects their life in such a deep way.  But of course, he's only made two films so technically I can't say that yet.

Anyway, I thought this film was funny, but I wasn't sure if I was laughing at the content or because everyone in the audience was laughing and I just went along with it.  Some people were cracking up. I was looking around and thinking, "Is it really that funny?"  People were laughing so hard that I couldn't hear the film.  So it made me question the rest of the film on whether it is funny or the audience just made it funny.

Then I was going to see it again before writing this review and I felt it wouldn't have mattered since I already knew what jokes were to come so they might not be as funny.

Overall it was a lot like Tammy, with the humor.  The only difference is the character's lifestyle.  So 3 popcorns.


No comments:

Post a Comment