Popcorn vs Kernel

5 Popcorns = Must see!
4 Popcorns = You'll probably like it.
3 Popcorns = Go in the morning when there are cheaper ticket prices.
2 Popcorns = Maybe rent it.
1 Popcorn = Wait for a friend to rent it and watch it with them.
Kernel = Don't see it at all. Ever.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Black Mass (2015)





Directed by: Scott Cooper

Written by: Mark Mallouk, Jez Butterworth, Dick Lehr, & Gerard O'Neill

Starring: Johnny Depp, Benedict Cumberbatch, & Joel Edgerton






Unlike my two previous posts, I have not read this book.  In fact, I didn't know this was a true story until a little after the trailer came out.  I had definitely never heard of Whitey Bulger and to be honest, this film did not interest me as much until I found out Johnny Depp was in it.  Who doesn't love Johnny Depp?

As most films, this has a combination of good and bad qualities.  Let's start with the good.

Depp's performance is definitely Oscar worthy.  He plays a violent criminal who is simply protecting his turf by becoming an informant for the FBI in order to take down the Mafia.  During the film, you can tell who is in charge and that's James "Whitey" Bulger.  He has the FBI intimidated.  He scares his girlfriend.  He frightens people in his crew.  He terrifies me.  Depp's performance was just that good.  But I think the makeup also added to the effect.  His blue eyes could stare into your soul.

That's pretty much it for the good qualities unfortunately.  Now onto the bad.

I was lost.  The film starts out with you expecting to know everyone.  Or at least that's how I took it.  They say names left and right and I'm just like "Who?"  Who are they talking about?!  Then they cut to a shot of the person, but they are with other people, so how am I supposed to know who is who?

Second thing: the plot kind of dragged.  Just a tiny bit.  I wanted them to get on with the story.  Yeah sure kill some people in the process, but as long as it moves the story!  Some of them did not and I think what the filmmakers were trying to accomplish was to establish the reputation of Bulger.  But it seemed unnecessary, like I get it.  He's evil.  Got it.  Okay.  C'mon what's next?

There isn't a third thing.  Everything was pretty much okay.  I would say rent the film rather than see it in theaters, but that's just me.  3 popcorns.

No comments:

Post a Comment